What can I study?
Australia Awards Scholarships provide citizens of Vanuatu with opportunities to obtain a tertiary qualification in Australia at a tertiary institution, or in Fiji, at the University of the South Pacific or Fiji National University. Australia Awards Scholarships are offered at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Applications are invited in areas of study that align with the Vanuatu National Sustainable Development Plans and the skills gaps identified in Vanuatu’s National Human Resource Development Plan (NHRDP). Please check the Resources tab for more information.
The Governments of Vanuatu and Australia have agreed on the following priority fields of study and areas of specialisation:
For Bachelor and Postgraduate study levels:
- climate change
- education including the teaching of STEM – Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- veterinary and animal sciences
For Technical and Vocational Education (Diploma or Certificate IV) study levels:
- training and assessment
- information technology
- hospitality management
Applicants must research Australian universities and regional institutions to find courses that best fit their academic background, career and leadership ambitions, which will enable them to contribute meaningfully to Vanuatu’s development.
We recommend you consider the university location as well. Different cities have varying transport systems, climate, cost of living and availability of accommodation.
Below are the approved institutions to choose from. Australia Awards Scholarships provide citizens of Vanuatu with opportunities to obtain a tertiary qualification at the:
- University of the South Pacific-Laucala Campus, Fiji: https://www.usp.ac.fj/
- Or at the Fiji National University only for medical studies: https://www.fnu.ac.fj/
- Or from any University or TAFE in Australia that is available in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) – https://cricos.education.gov.au/default.aspx