There are several steps before a candidate is recommended to receive an Australia Award Scholarship. This is important to ensure the selection process is open, transparent and defensible and to identify the best candidates. These will be candidates who meet all eligibility requirements and who are most likely to make valuable contributions to Vanuatu’s development when they return.
Applicants will be assessed and shortlisted against the following criteria:
- academic competence;
- professional and personal leadership attributes and relevant employment history (except for school leavers); and
- potential to contribute to development outcomes in Vanuatu, including by addressing a critical skills gap.
The selection process will favourably weigh applications which address skills gaps identified in Vanuatu’s National Human Resource Development Plan, and which align to the Vanuatu government priorities. Weight will also be given to applications who will impart their knowledge and skills to others.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to come to go through the interview stage. Selected applicants intending to study in Australia will be required to undertake the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to assess their English language competence. The selection outcomes will be finalised by July 2020.
Successful applicants will be required to attend the following:
- an IELTS preparation program
- a pre-departure briefing
- the university’s Introductory Academic Program
- any other required preparatory study on arrival in Australia.