There are several steps before a candidate is recommended to receive an Australia Award Scholarship. This is important to ensure the selection process is open, transparent and defensible and to identify the best candidates. These will be candidates who meet all eligibility requirements and who are most likely to make valuable contributions to Vanuatu’s development when they return.
Applicants will be screened to ensure eligibility criteria has been met and then assessed against the following criteria:
- academic or technical competence;
- professional and personal leadership attributes and relevant employment history (except for school leavers); and
- potential to contribute to development outcomes in Vanuatu, including by addressing a critical skills gap.
The selection process will favourably weigh applications which address skills gaps identified in Vanuatu’s National Human Resource Development Plan and which align to the Vanuatu Government’s priorities. Weight will also be given to applications with a ‘multiplier effect’ such as those who will impart their knowledge and skills to others.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed. Selected applicants intending to study in Australia will be required to undertake an English Language Proficiency Test to assess English language competence. The selection outcomes will be finalised by October 2022.
Successful applicants will be required to attend the following:
- English proficiency testing preparation
- pre-departure Briefing (in Vanuatu)
- introductory Academic Program (at the university)
- any other required preparatory study on arrival in Australia